Saturday, May 31, 2008

In Memory of Maggie


This past Tuesday I lost a great friend ... my 11 year-old golden retriever, Maggie. Those of you who are animal lovers will understand how sad it is to lose a loyal and loving member of your family. She suddenly became very, very sick from cancer, and on Tuesday I had to make the decision to put her down. We took her to a wonderful facility in Westbury, Compassionate Care, where we had our own private room. Maggie laid on a blanket, I was next to her and held her as she was given the injection. It was one of the saddest moments in my life. Maggie was the best dog I ever had in my entire life and it was so hard to let her go. I am pretty much cried out and I am trying to forget the memories of her last day here on earth and only remember all the joy and laughter she brought to my family. I was touched by how compassionate my colleagues were at work this week. It really helped. Some people might think "oh, it was just a dog," but she was like one of my children and it hurts so to not have her here anymore. This picture of her was taken about a year ago after a trip to the groomer...I love this picture 'cause she was so NOT a ribbon & bow type of personality! It makes me smile to look at this.

I have begun searching for a new puppy ... the house seems so quiet ... I got an email last night from a breeder on Long Island who is expecting a litter in a couple of weeks. So--if all things work out, I will have a new 'baby' in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment